Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Ditched Dutch for Drinks

Last night I ditched my Dutch lessons for drinks with my co-workers instead – I know – my bad and I have to admit that I feel a tad guilty for it.    Technically I could have still gone to my Dutch lessons but somehow trying to learn and speak Dutch after 3 glasses of wine, probably not a good thing!  It was a really good opportunity to get to know my colleagues a little better, as well; it was my first venture to a pub/bar in The Netherlands and I can say that I had a very enjoyable time!

Here is some miscellaneous pub food called bitterballen – given that this was my first bar/pub experience, they felt that it was necessary that we order this.   I asked – they don’t have hot wings here.  The advice that I was given was “just eat it, don’t look at it, you will like it” and I did.  The main reason that I wasn’t supposed to look at it is that they like to cream their meat for a lack of a better descriptor and then deep fry it into some sort of croquette – we have them in the cafeteria at every day.  Bitterballen are deep-fried snacks that are very common in the bar.  They are battered in a crunchy breadcrumb coating and filled with a gooey mixture of meat and is served with mustard and sweet chili sauce.

Plate of Bitterballen

This is some sort of creamy thing with a chunk of beef in it - so yummy!
  
 Some sort of meat ball - I was assured that it wasn't horse.

 Bitterballan for the vegetarian (I think)

(Yes I know, I need a manicure – those hang nails aren’t looking too lovely!)

Spring is starting to spring here – it was a gorgeous 15C yesterday, so it warranted some patio time.   One thing that  I have noticed with the Dutch is that it is always patio time – they just bundle up for it or sit with a blanket on their laps.  I am sorry but this hardy Canadian, I don’t like to be cold and would much prefer to be inside when it is cold out, not sitting outside with a blanket on my lap!

So back to ditching my Dutch lessons – I got to work this morning and  saw that I had an email from my Dutch teacher hoping that I was okay – bring on the guilt!  She knows that I have to miss next week due to a work trip, so she provided me with some work to do, as well, gave me what I missed yesterday. . .just like school!

1 comment:

  1. [quote]Some sort of meat ball - I was assured that it wasn't horse.[/quote]

    It properly was..

    ReplyDelete