Friday, March 8, 2013

It Ain't Cottonelle

This installment of my blog is dedicated to those things have just made me go "huh?" or wonder "WTH?"  or just shake my head.

Good ol' TP.  Now in the past, my friends have mocked me when I load up on Cottonelle when it is on sale dirt cheap at Superstore, but I can tell you, I am so looking forward to my shipment arriving because I want my Cottonelle.  I figure that I probably have a good 6 month stock in there!  Now don't get me wrong, Dutch TP is okay but is just isn't as good as what we have in Canada.  And the rolls are a lot smaller and you can only buy small packages like this one below.

It ain't Cottonelle!
Looks like yogurt to me!
Now another thing that has completely perplexed me is Kwark or in North American they spell it Quark.  To me, it takes just like yogurt and has the consistency of a thicker yogurt but it isn't yogurt.  According to the internet (because everything is true on there) it is more like cottage cheese or cream cheese but if you ask me, it is yogurt.   And there is also a way GREATER selection of Kwark in the grocery store than there is of yogurt, so Kwark it is going to be.  Plus, you can get no-fat Kwark but it near impossible to get no-fat yogurt - go figure.



One thing that I am most looking forward to getting is my bed!  My temporary apartment is a fully-furnished 2 bedroom including what looks like a queen sized bed but after closer inspection (and sleeping on it) it is really 2 single beds pushed together and I have learned that this is very common here.  I am in the market of buying a 3rd bed for guests (hint, hint to all of you - my door is always open) and unless you go to IKEA, it is near to impossible to buy a queen sized bed that isn't 2 mattresses.  I think it has something to do with the fact that in old Dutch houses, the stairs are VERY steep and it would be very difficult, if not impossible to get the mattress up the stairs.  I typically like to sleep in the middle of my bed - I mean, why shouldn't I - I have the whole thing but with this bed, I have what I affectionately call "the moat" in the middle, so I can't sleep in the middle and rolling from one side to the other, isn't that simple.

You can see "the moat" in the middle - really it isn't that wide but that is what I have affectionately named it.
The one thing that I have seen that has made me go "WTH" is the following:


This is located in a plain (a big park or square), which is surrounded by patios and restaurants - in full public view.  You will notice by the little symbol on it, it is for men.  Fortunately there isn't one for women to squat on.  I am not sure what they expect us to use, but it isn't it!

And only in The Netherlands will you see an ad on the TV for ironing board covers. . .who knew that that could be such a market that it warrants expensive ad spend on TV!

1 comment:

  1. Well like they say ìf it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck it must be a duck so enjoy your Kwark. Down here at Dogpound South if you want to buy the large tubs of yogurt, and I do, cause I go through a bunch, you have a choice of strawberry, oh yah, and strawberry. Not like back there in the north country where every kind of berry and fruit is available. Guess it is the cultural differences that really make the difference and how much more cultured can you get than yogurt.

    ReplyDelete