Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Dutch Pecking Order

I have quickly learned the Dutch pecking order of the road - it is:  Trams, Bikes, Pedestrians, Cars.  Does not matter where you are or what you are doing that - that is the order.  A few people have asked if I have bought a bike yet and the answer is "no" for a few reasons.  1)  It is COLD and I am a fairweather biker.  Somehow I can't see me riding a bike in a toque, mitts, scarf and my winter boots  2)  I am not sure where I will store it for now.  I am sure I can haul it up in the elevator to my apartment, but for now I am fairly central and can pretty much walk everywhere.  3)  It scares me!  Riding your bike in the Netherlands is just not the same as back in Canada.  Big difference is that they rule the road (see above) and NO ONE wears a helmet!  I am just not sure I am confident and aggressive enough on a bike yet.  I am however asking around to see if anyone offers a biking 101 course.  Seriously though, my intention is to buy a bike once I have moved into my permanent home.

On my way home (I walk through the main train station) I was approached by a lovely girl with a rose who started to rattle on to me in Dutch to which I normally just smile and nod, but this time I said "I don't speak Dutch", at which point she launched into English (as most Dutch do when I say this) and she handed me a rose for Valentine's Day courtesy of some lingerie shop.

Stopped at the ol' Albert Heijn today on the way home to pick up some more groceries (as I have eaten through what I had previously bought) and experienced a new challenge today, on top of not knowing what it is that I am buying - directions/instruction.  Yep - they are in Dutch too!  I know that I said that I was going to take my iPad with me next time but I stopped on my way home and didn't have it with me.  I am not sure why I torture myself like this!  The oven still is giving me challenges but I haven't given up yet (and can't if I want to eat hot food!)

Here is some of what I bought today - I know what they are - kinda.  Or at least know that I could cook it!  LOL!
This I know how to make - even if the directions are in Dutch!
I have figured out the Kip is chicken - just not sure what kind of marinade this was - still not sure even after I have cooked it and ate it.  Kinda a cross b/w Mexican and Indian



How could I not buy this?!  The one thing they do have a lot of choice of his hazelnut spreads :-)  Not sure what the white flavour is yet though.

3 comments:

  1. Brenda is wondering if they have Kraft dinner. Here at Dogpound South it has come to our attention that Cheez Whiz is a Canadian product, what they have here is nothing like ours at home. After a lot of mumbling and research it turns out that the Canadian Cheez Whiz is only made, you guess it "in Canada". Last year we realized that the chocolate in the Canadian mini-eggs is far superior to the chocolate they use south of the Medicine Line. But luckily we can still read the directions down here. Enjoy your adventures, I am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cooking challenges are too funny! At least from here. I am sure it is funny for you at times and at others "not". :) Love hearing your stories. Sorry to hear in your another on of your entries that you can't get chocolate chips. How awful as I love eating the frozen ones. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Riding makes you warm
    2. Bikes stay outside if there isn't room
    3. It's a lot more safer riding here then in Canada
    3. Bike helmet don't protect you at all (http://www.aviewfromthecyclepath.com/search/label/helmets)

    ReplyDelete