Tuesday, February 26, 2013

My stuff is here, my stuff is here!!

You guessed it - "my stuff" is here.  I got an email from "my guy" today saying that my stuff is here and is sitting in their secure and bonded warehouse in Rotterdam.  In fact, I think it has probably been here for some time but since I was waiting for my BSN (see my previous post), I couldn't fill out the proper paperwork for the customs process for my stuff.  So now all of that is complete and he has sent it on to the proper authorities and hopefully 2-3 weeks my stuff will be cleared and will be able to come back into my possession, assuming I have a permanent place to live. (that will be another post for another day)  I am thinking/hoping that I will get it by the end of March.

With regards to "my stuff", the thought of it all being packed up, loaded into a sea can and then bobbing around in the ocean for 3 weeks, I have to admit, had me a little worried.  Now I know cargo ships traverse our oceans everyday loaded with many treasures, but this was "my stuff" - all of my worldly possessions save what I packed in 3 suit cases and my 75kg of air cargo.  Keep in mind, I probably only have 1/3 of my shoe collection with me, so that was a lot of shoes bobbing in the ocean!  Then I had these visions of my sea can falling off the ship and my stuff just floating there and then joining the big plastic trash gyros in the ocean.  I knew that it was highly, highly unlikely but a small part of you can't but think . . .

Oh, and another one of my Hague mysteries has been solved - I saw a cemetery the other day but I think bbq is the main choice here.  Have to remember, most of the country is below sea level so if you dig a hole, it fills up with water pretty quick (lots of floating bodies).  I also think I have found a funeral home, not that I was looking but I go past it on my way to Dutch lessons (another post for another day as well).

1 comment:

  1. My entire shoe collection can usually fit on my feet, but I actually have an extra pair along on this journey.

    ReplyDelete